Helmside Road

A ‘New Road’ connecting Burton Road to Oxenholme Road, was built c. 1896 but was not named ‘Helmside Road’ until 1968.

Before 1896, to get to Oxenholme Station, the railway workers who lived in the terraced Helmside Cottages built in 1885 had to cross the Kendal to Kirkby Lonsdale road bridge and then use the cinder path running alongside the railway track.

The first properties forming what is now Helmside Road were Helmside Cottages with access only from the Burton Road. These properties numbered 1 to 25 now form the lead for the numbering of the remainder of the road.

Natland Terrace was added in 1896 and these properties are now numbered 111-133 Helmside Road (all odd-numbered properties)


Properties – West Side (evens)


2 Helmside Road

  • end terrace – demolished

4-24 Helmside Road

[between numbers 23 and 25 is the lane leading to the back of Helmside Cottages]

32-36 Helmside Road

  • three terraced houses

38 Helmside Road – (was 1 Bolefoot)

  • semi-detached house adjoining no. 40
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – Clifford Hall (1904-?) & Harriet Hall (1902-?) + John Hall
  • 1968 – renumbered as 38 Helmside Road

40 Helmside Road – (was 2 Bolefoot)

  • semi-detached house adjoining no. 38
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – Robert E Armer (1905-?) & Annie Armer (1902-?) + Robert J Armer – please see Armer Family page

[between numbers 40 and 42 is Bolefoot]

42 Helmside Road – (was 17 Bolefoot)

  • 1st of four terraced houses nos. 42-48
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – John J Medcalf (1893-?) & Jane Medcalf (1893-?) + Maisie Medcalf later Dowker

44 Helmside Road – (was 18 Bolefoot)

  • 2nd of four terraced houses 42-48
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – Harriet Stephenson (1887-?) + Margaret Stephenson later Horsley + John Stephenson

46 Helmside Road – (was 19 Bolefoot))

  • 3rd of four terraced houses 42-48
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – Thomas G Lowthian (1913-?) & Mary Lowthian nee Swainbank (1908-?)

48 Helmside Road – (was 20 Bolefoot)

  • 4th of four terraced houses 42-48
  • 1921 –
  • 1939 – Ernest Harris (1873-?) & Isabella Harris (1872-?) + Margaret Walsh + Alexander Walsh

[between numbers 48 and 50 is Bolefoot]

50-52 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

54-56 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

58 Helmside Road

  • detached houses

60-62 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

64-66 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses
  • no. 66 = Helm Mount

68-70 Helmside Road – Helm Garth

  • two semi-detached houses now one home
  • no. 70 was home to the Co-Operative Shop
  • no. 68 and no. 70 were joined and an additional floor was added
  • the properties were a retirement home for a short period
  • the property is now called Helm Garth

72-74 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached bungalows

76-78 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached bungalows

80-82 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached bungalows

84-86 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached bungalows

88 Helmside Road

  • detached bungalow

[there is not a number 90]

92-96 Helmside Road formerly 1-3 Wilson Villas

  • three terraced houses

98 Helmside Road – Woodlands

  • detached bungalow

100-102 Helmside Road – West Lynne & East Lynne

  • two semi-detached houses
  • no. 100 is called West Lynne
  • no. 102 is called East Lynne

104 Helmside Road – Montclare / Gateway

  • detached bungalow
  • formerly called Montclare, now called Gateway

106 Helmside Road – Waresley

  • detached bungalow

108 Helmside Road – Wharfedale

  • 1911 –
  • 1939 –

110 Helmside Road – Kempnough

  • detached bungalow

112 Helmside Road

  • detached bungalow

Properties – East Side (odds)


1-23 Helmside Road

[between numbers 23 and 25 is the lane leading to the back of Helmside Cottages]

27 & 29 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached bungalows built 1968-1972
  • former station master George Stewart was living at no. 29 in 1972

[between numbers 29 and 43 is Scar View Road]

43 – 47 Helmside Road

  • three terraced bungalows built 1968-1972

[between numbers 47 and 53 are two undeveloped plots]

  • Long-time resident John Bateson tells us the surrounding properties were all built between 1968 and 1972 and that this particular piece of land was originally intended for the children’s playground. However, it was deemed to be too close to the road and so has remained undeveloped ever since.

53-57 Helmside Road

  • three terraced bungalows built 1968-1972

59-65 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972

67-73 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972
  • number 73 is now the Oxenholme Stores & Post Office

[between numbers 73 and 75 is Bleaswood Road]

75-81 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972

83-89 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972

91-97 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972

99-105 Helmside Road

  • four terraced houses built 1968-1972

[between numbers 105 and 109 is Helmside Court]

109 Helmside Road

  • detached bungalow

[between numbers 109 and 111 is the lane leading to the back of Natland Terrace]

111-121 Helmside Road

[between numbers 121 and 123 is Hill Place]

123-133 Helmside Road

135 Helmside Road

  • semi-detached house – the adjoining semi is 19 Helmside Gardens

137-139 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

141-143 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

145-147 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

149 Helmside Road

  • detached house

[between numbers 149 and 151 is Helmside Gardens]

151-153 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

155-157 Helmside Road

  • two semi-detached houses

159 Helmside Road

  • semi-detached house – the adjoining semi is 18 Helmside Gardens

Undergrump

Oxenholme House

Page last updated 12 October 2016

Comments are closed