An Engine Shed was first established at Oxenholme in the 1840s when the line first opened. It is believed to have been a one lane through shed with a turntable just to its northern entrance.
It was replaced by a four road Engine Shed in 1880 when the station was rebuilt.
The four road Engine Shed is pictured above looking north to the Kendal to New Hutton road bridge with the water tank and coal stage in the left foreground. Just under the bridge, the LMS Oxenholme No. 2 Signalbox can be spotted. The former LNWR Oxenholme No. 2 Signalbox used to be postioned behind the Engine Shed and was raised to give the signalman a clear view of the south end of Oxenholme Station.
Mr Collins was Shedmaster until 1915 when Mr Bunner took over.
The engine shed roof was replaced in 1938. The old slates were advertised in the local press.
The picture below shows the Engine Shed in 1962 not long before closure.
The Shedmaster in the early 1960’s was W. Walker who, aged just 23, took over from Acting Shedmaster Joe Mitchell, a driver in his fifties who then acted as W. Walker’s deputy. At that time there were 50 men and 12 engines. The Engine Shed closed in July 1962.
The position of layout of the Engine Shed, turntable and sidings is overlaid on a satellite image below:
|1880||Four-road shed opened|
|1935 Feb 1||Code 11D allocated|
|1950 Feb 1||Code changed to 11C|
|1960 Jun 1||Code changed to 12G|
|1962 Jun 18||Shed closed|
Page last updated 9 February 2020