Helmside Cottages

The red-bricked terraced Helmside Cottages were built in 1885 to house railway workers. Originally there were 25 cottages, 13 on the eastern side and 12 on the western side.

Helmside Cottages as surveyed in 1887

Today, there are only 11 on the western side, and the first cottage is numbered 4.

Number 2 has been demolished – a new brick facia can be clearly seen and the chimney breast, originally hidden internally between numbers 2 and 4 is now exposed. It was demolished to enable the main road to be widened and improve visability at the junction. The residents of No. 2 Helmside at the time were apparently Mr & Mrs Balmer and their daughter Wendy who moved to Bolefoot.

Helmside Cottages – Front view of the eleven remaining western cottages. Image courtesy of Google Street View 2011

Helmside Cottages – Rear view of the eleven remaining western cottages. Image courtesy of Google Street View 2011

Helmside Road, connecting Burton Road to Oxenholme Road, came much later in 1896. Until then, to get to Oxenholme Station and Depot, the railway workers had to use the cinder path running alongside the railway track.


Helmside Cottages – Even numbers (Western side)


2 Helmside Cottages – demolished

  • 1891 – James Jones & family
  • 1901 – Richard Haythornthwaite & family
  • 1911 – Richard Haythornthwaite & family
  • 1915 – Richard Haythornthwaite & family
  • 1939 – Horace Baxter & family

4 Helmside Cottages – now 4 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – John Parkinson & family
  • 1901 – Albert Winder & family
  • 1911 – Albert Winder & family
  • 1915 – Albert Winder & family
  • 1939 – Albert Winder & family

6 Helmside Cottages  – now 6 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Isaac Nelson & family
  • 1901 – Isaac Nelson & family
  • 1911 – Isaac Nelson & family
  • 1915 – Isaac Nelson & family
  • 1939 – Francis Dunlop & family

8 Helmside Cottages – now 8 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – George Armer & family
  • 1901 – Thomas Robinson & family
  • 1911 – Thomas Robinson & family
  • 1915 – Thomas Robinson & family
  • 1939 – Thomas Robinson & family

10 Helmside Cottages – now 10 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Thomas Wills & family
  • 1901 – uninhabited
  • 1911 – John Pinch & family
  • 1915 – John Pinch & family
  • 1939 – Frederick Jackson & family

12 Helmside Cottages – now 12 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Edmund Askew & family
  • 1901 – Samuel Clive Dennison & family
  • 1911 – Joseph Edward Swinglehurst & family
  • 1915 – Joseph Edward Swinglehurst & family
  • 1939 – William Swarbrick & family

14 Helmside Cottages – now 14 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Richard Laycock & family
  • 1901 – Richard Laycock & family
  • 1911 – Richard Laycock & family
  • 1939 – John Campbell & family

16 Helmside Cottages – now 16 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – James Tubboner & family
  • 1901 – Isabella Hindson & family
  • 1911 – William Haythornthwaite & family
  • 1915 – William Haythornthwaite & family
  • 1939 – William Haythornthwaite & family

18 Helmside Cottages – now 18 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – George Page & family
  • 1901 – George Page & family
  • 1911 – George Page & family
  • 1915 – George Page & family
  • 1939 – George Jellett & family

20 Helmside Cottages – now 20 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Richard Baines & family
  • 1901 – Richard Baines & family
  • 1911 – Richard Baines & family
  • 1915 – Richard Baines & family
  • 1939 – Frederick Robinson & family

22 Helmside Cottages – now 22 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – John Butler & family
  • 1901 – William Bell & family
  • 1911 – Christopher Hayton Dobson & family
  • 1915 – Christopher Hayton Dobson & family
  • 1939 – George Weaver & family

24 Helmside Cottages – now 24 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Reuben Lord & family
  • 1901 – Reuben Lord & family
  • 1911 – Thomas George Nixon & family
  • 1915 – Thomas George Nixon & family
  • 1939 – Elizabeth Nixon

Helmside Cottages – Odd numbers (Eastern side)


1 Helmside Cottages – now 1 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Joshua Dobson & family
  • 1901 – Joseph B Whiteside & family
  • 1911 – Francis Edwin ‘Frank’ Graham & family
  • 1915 – Francis Edwin ‘Frank’ Graham & family

3 Helmside Cottages – now 3 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – William Conway & family
  • 1901 – William Conway & family
  • 1911 – William Conway & family
  • 1915 – William Conway & family

5 Helmside Cottages – now 5 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Peter Birchall & family
  • 1901 – Peter Birchall & family
  • 1911 – Peter Birchall & family
  • 1915 – Peter Birchall & family

7 Helmside Cottages – now 7 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – William Schofield & family
  • 1901 – William Schofield & family
  • 1911 – William Schofield & family
  • 1915 – William Schofield & family

9 Helmside Cottages – now 9 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – John Speed & family
  • 1901 – John Speed & family
  • 1911 – John Speed & family
  • 1915 – John Speed & family

11 Helmside Cottages – now 11 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – John Thornburrow & family
  • 1901 – John Thornburrow & family
  • 1911 – John Thornburrow & family
  • 1915 – John Thornburrow & family

13 Helmside Cottages – now 13 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Richard Graham & family
  • 1901 – Richard Graham & family
  • 1911 – Richard Graham & family
  • 1915 – Richard Graham & family

15 Helmside Cottages – now 15 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1901 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1911 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1915 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1940 – J. C. Jones & family

17 Helmside Cottages – now 17 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – George Smith & family
  • 1901 – Robert John Armer & family
  • 1911 – Robert John Armer & family
  • 1915 – Robert John Armer & family

19 Helmside Cottages – now 19 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – William Cragghill & family
  • 1901 – William Cragghill & family
  • 1911 – William Cragghill & family
  • 1915 – Frederick Cragghill & family

21 Helmside Cottages – now 21 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – John Thompson & family
  • 1901 – John Thompson & family
  • 1911 – Robert Fothergill & family
  • 1915 – Robert Fothergill & family

23 Helmside Cottages – now 23 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – James Swan Tweddle & family
  • 1901 – James Swan Tweddle & family
  • 1911 – George Taylor Hayhurst & family
  • 1915 – George Taylor Hayhurst & family

25 Helmside Cottages – now 25 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Henry Jennings & family
  • 1901 – Richard Parker & family
  • 1911 – Richard Parker & family
  • 1915 – Richard Parker & family

Page last updated: 16 October 2017

Save

Station Inn

station inn by alexander p kapp 2010

The Station Inn © Copyright Alexander P Kapp 2010 and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

The Station Inn

Oxenholme, Kendal LA9 7RF

Tel: 01539 724094

Website: www.stationinnoxenholme.co.uk/

Contact: station.inn@btconnect.com


History

The Station Inn was formerly the Oxenholme Inn, a beerhouse. It was built shortly after the Ordnance Survey surveyed the area in 1858 for their latest map.
In 1862, George Teasdale, innkeeper of the nearby Beehive Inn at Old Hutton for thirteen years, was granted a licence to sell spirits at the Oxenholme Station Inn. George died just under four years later.

George’s widow, Isabella Teasdale (neé Mackereth), was innkeeper at the Oxenholme Inn in 1871. Before her death in January 1876, Isabella’s son, George Teasdale, had taken over as innkeeper and he was still in charge in 1881.

By 1891, the publican was James Freeman. At the time of the census, Thomas Mackereth Teasdale (brother of the former publican) was a visitor.

According to Frances Cross, her great-grandfather Tommy (Thomas Kendal) Cross owned the Oxenholme Inn in the late 1800s. He apparently lost it in a card game and eventually emigrated to the United States with his wife and several children.

By 1894, Thomas Askew, a coal dealer, was publican.

By 1901, William Harrison Thornburrow, a butcher by trade, was the Public House Keeper.

By 1906, Francis Edwin Baker was inn keeper and farmer.

Around 1928, John Cannon Dixon , Natland’s blacksmith, became landlord.

John’s son George Whitehead Dixon was landlord until his death in 1958.

From 1960 until 1991, the licencees were John Ormerod and his wife Joyce Ormerod (neé Dixon). Joyce was George Whitehead Dixon’s daughter.

 

 

Save

Save

Askew


Thomas Askew

  • coal merchant
  • publican at the Station Inn
  • debtor 7 February 1898

George Francis ‘Frank’ Askew (1889-1915)

  • born at Lancaster on 12 January 1889
  • second of at least six children born to Edmund Askew and his wife Ellen
  • family moved to Oxenholme when Frank was just 2, with Edmund being employed on the railway first as a yardsman and then as a shunter
  • enlisted at Glasgow and served as a Private in the 8th Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
  • died at Gallipoli on 8 June 1915 and his name is recorded on the Helles Memorial, Turkey but not on the Natland memorial

Can you add any information to this page? Do you have any photographs or memories you could share? If so, please email us

Page last updated 16 October 2017

WARTIME

We will remember them

We know of five men associated with Oxenholme who lost their lives on active service in World War 1 or shortly after:

George Francis ‘Frank’ Askew (1889-1915)
‘Frank’, was born at Lancaster on 12 January 1889, the second of at least six children born to Edmund and his wife Ellen. The family moved to Oxenholme when Frank was just 2, with Edmund being employed on the railway first as a yardsman and then as a shunter. Frank enlisted at Glasgow and served as a Private in the 8th Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). He died at Gallipoli on 8 June 1915. His name is recorded on the Helles Memorial, Turkey but not on the Natland memorial.

Also see: Askew family page

Alexander Cragghill (1899-1918)
Alexander, born in 1899, lived at 19 Helmside, Oxenholme and was the second of two sons born to William Cragghill and his second wife Catherine Cragghill (formerly White). Alexander’s father William, a railway engine driver, had ten children by his first wife Ellen Craghill neé Butler. Alexander served as a Private with the 13th Battalion, The King’s (Liverpool) Regiment. He died on 28 March 1918 during the First Battle of Arras. Alexander’s name is recorded on the Arras Memorial, France and on the original plaque of the Natland memorial.

Also see: Cragghill family page

Herbert Nixon (1892-1920)
Herbert, born at Clifton, Westmorland in 1892, was the second of five children born to Thomas George Nixon and his wife Elizabeth Todd Nixon who lived at 24 Helmside, Oxenholme. Like his father, Herbert worked on the railway. Herbert married Helen Escolme in July 1917 and daughter Marian was born in October 1918. Sadly Helen died just three weeks later. Herbert initially served as a Private in the RASC Motor Transport Unit. He died from typhus on 25 January 1920 while serving in Southern Russia. Daughter Marian was brought up by her mother’s sister. Herbert’s name is recorded on the Haidar Pasha Memorial, Turkey and on a supplementary plaque added to the Natland memorial in 2008.

Also see: Nixon family page

Douglas Swan Tweddle (1891-1917)
Douglas, born at Oxenholme in 1891, was the fourth of eleven children born to James Swan Tweddle and his wife Rhoda Nixon who lived at 23 Helmside, Oxenholme. Like his father, Douglas worked on the railway. Douglas married Florence Cole at St. Peter’s Church, Aintree in 1916. He served as a Private in the 22nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment. He died on 27 May 1917. His name is commemorated on the Achiet-le-Grand Communal Cemetery Memorial and at St. Peter’s Church, Aintree, but not on the Natland memorial.

Also see: Tweddle family page

John James Woof (1893-1917)
John, a farm labourer born at Oxenholme, was the second of eight children born to Joseph Woof and his wife Hannah Woof.  He served as a Private in the 1st Battalion, The Border Regiment. He died on 23 April 1917 and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Page last updated 8 October 2017