15 Helmside Cottages

15 Helmside Cottages – now 15 Helmside Road

  • 1891 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1901 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1911 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1915 – Richardson Ellison & family
  • 1940 – J. C. Jones & family

⇐13 ⇑Helmside Cottages⇑ 17⇒

Page last updated: 6 April 2018

Ellison


Richardson (‘Richard’) Ellison (1851-1917)

  • born 1851 at Lazonby, Cumberland
  • son of Thomas Ellison and Ann Ellison nee ?
  • baptised 7 Dec 1851 at St. Andrew, Penrith, Cumberland
  • lived at Plumpton Wall, Cumberland with paternal grandparents in 1861
  • lodging at 7 Station Cottages, Tebay (a Lodging House) in 1871 aged 17 – loco cleaner
  • married Hannah Robinson (c1852–1924) in 1876 in Sedbergh district
  • lived at Alice House, Applethwaite
  • lived at 15 Helmside
  • wife Hannah was present at the Railway Mission third anniversary celebrations in 1909
  • railway engine driver
  • died 14 June 1917 aged 66
  • buried at St. Mark’s Church, Natland
  • gravestone inscribed “In loving memory of Richard Ellison who died June 14th 1917 aged 66. Also of Hannah his wife who died Sept 7th 1924 aged 72. In God’s keeping.”
  • probate Carlisle 27 July 1917 to Hannah Ellison widow
  • effects £1,152 7s 2d
  • wife Hannah later lived at 10 Appleby Road, Kendal and died 7 September 1924 aged 72 at 31 Romney Road, Kendal and is buried at St. Mark’s Church, Natland
  • probate 7 October 1924 to son Edmund Robinson Ellison draper’s buyer
  • effects £1,198 10s 11d

Richardson and Hannah had five children, two of whom (names as yet unknown) died before 1911:

  • Agnes Wilson Ellison (1878–1937) – married John Pinch (1874–1943) in 1900
  • Edmund Robinson Ellison (1880–1937) – draper’s buyer – married Annabella Smith (1881–1927) – had son John Richardson Ellison (1908–?) and another child who died in infancy
  • Sarah Isabel Ellison (1881–1944) – married Thomas Leather (1868–1948) – had one daughter Cicely Leather (1908–1992) who married John Francis Johnson (?–?)

Can you add any information to this page? Do you have any photographs or memories you could share? If so, please email us

Page last updated: 16 October 2017

1909: Oxenholme – Railway Mission

On Monday a successful gathering was held to celebrate the third anniversary of the opening of the Mission Hall. Numerous guests, after partaking of a substantial tea, were addressed by Mrs. Isaac Braithwaite. The chair was occupied by Mr. John Parker, who referred briefly to the work and progress of the Mission under its earnest leader, Mrs. Page. The latter in a few well-chosen and touching words, thanked the members and workers for their help and sympathy. The tables were presided over by Mrs. W. Phizackerley, Mrs. Ellison, Mrs. Chris. Dobson, Mrs. J. Parker, assisted by many willing helpers. The programme included music and recitations by Miss Wilkinson, Mr. W. Phizackerley, Master C. Ewen, Miss Black, Misses Robinson, Miss Fanny Jackson, and Mr. Parker. Miss Wilkinson presided at the organ.

Westmorland Gazette, 18 September 1909