Oxenholme Road / B6254

The B6254 from Oxenholme towards Kendal from the Helmside Road junction is known as Oxenholme Road.


Properties within Oxenholme on Oxenholme Road (north side) are limited to:

  • Oxenholme Farm
  • Raysholme – formerly part of Oxenholme Farm – see above link
  • Mill Cottage – formerly part of Oxenholme Farm – see above link

There are no properties on the Oxenholme Road (south side).


Properties within Oxenholme on the B6254 (north side) heading towards Old Hutton are limited to:


Properties within Oxenholme on the B6254 (south side) heading towards Old Hutton are limited to:


Page last updated 24 January 2020

1923: A Westmerian’s Interesting Career

DEATH OF MR. T. MOFFAT, OXENHOLME

The death took place at Glen Villa, Oxenholme, early on Thursday morning of Mr. Thomas Moffat, at the age of 68 years. Born at Sunbiggin, Orton, which his father owned, Mr. Moffat started life as a railway clerk at Tebay, afterwards going to Shap, Subsequently he went to Lancaster, where he acted as a relief stationmaster. Later he was promoted to be stationmaster at Oxenholme, and it was during his stay there that he built Glen Villa.

About 1897 he left the railway service and set up in business in Kendal, selling feeding cakes for Messrs. Bibby, Liverpool, and established a branch at Penrith. He also dealt in slags and manures, and built up a flourishing business. He was secretary of the old Kendal Auction Mart, following Mr. Parker in that position, and remaining secretary until the amalgamation with the Farmers’ Auction Mart in 1900. Since then he has been a director of the mart, in the welfare of which he took a keen interest. At the time of his death he was vice-chairman of the Board of Directors.

Mr. Moffat was only taken ill about a fortnight go, and his condition did not become serious until a few days before his death. He was married twice. His first wife, Miss Wildman, died 25 years ago. Later he married Miss Gray, who, with one son of the first marriage, Mr. Arthur J. Moffat, survive him. Two of the deceased’s brothers are Mr. John Moffat, Sedbergh, and Mr. Sam Moffat, Penrith. The deceased was well-known and respected, and was a strong Conservative. The funeral took place at Natland Church on Sunday.

Published by the Penrith Observer, 13 March 1923