District Council Meetings – South Westmorland Rural
At the meeting of this council, held at Kendal on Saturday, Mr. A. Fulton presided.
– With regard to the water supply at Helmside and Natland Terrace, Dr. Cockill reported that the cottages at Helmside were 25 in number, and were supplied from a single pump to the north side of the buildings. Seven of them were situated at a distance of more than 200 feet from the pump. Each cottage has a soft water galvanised iron cistern of about 125 gallons capacity, which was filled from the rain water off the roofs. That, when full, allowed from 14 to 25 gallons of water per head according to the average population of the cottages. At a low computation that was not more than a three days supply in dry weather. All additional water had to be carried beside the usual daily amount for drinking and culinary purposes. The pump water appeared on the whole to be good, though at times there was a good deal of rusty deposit, due probably to the pipes in connection with the pump. That supply had only once been known to fail. He was of opinion the cottages mentioned, which formed 28 per cent of the houses erected there, were supplied with a sufficient supply of water within a reasonable distance. At Natland Terrace the houses were supplied from a single pump. The water was good and had never been known to fail. The houses were all within a reasonable distance of the source of supply. He was of opinion no objection could be taken to that supply. It was decided to press the Railway Company to make a more adequate supply.
Westmorland Gazette, Saturday 13 March 1909