Station Inn

station inn by alexander p kapp 2010

The Station Inn © Copyright Alexander P Kapp 2010 and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

The Station Inn

Oxenholme, Kendal LA9 7RF

Tel: 01539 724094

Website: www.stationinnoxenholme.co.uk/

Contact: station.inn@btconnect.com


History

The Station Inn was formerly the Oxenholme Inn, a beerhouse. It was built shortly after the Ordnance Survey surveyed the area in 1858 for their latest map.
In 1862, George Teasdale, innkeeper of the nearby Beehive Inn at Old Hutton for thirteen years, was granted a licence to sell spirits at the Oxenholme Station Inn. George died just under four years later.

George’s widow, Isabella Teasdale (neé Mackereth), was innkeeper at the Oxenholme Inn in 1871. Before her death in January 1876, Isabella’s son, George Teasdale, had taken over as innkeeper and he was still in charge in 1881.

By 1891, the publican was James Freeman. At the time of the census, Thomas Mackereth Teasdale (brother of the former publican) was a visitor.

According to Frances Cross, her great-grandfather Tommy (Thomas Kendal) Cross owned the Oxenholme Inn in the late 1800s. He apparently lost it in a card game and eventually emigrated to the United States with his wife and several children.

By 1894, Thomas Askew, a coal dealer, was publican.

By 1901, William Harrison Thornburrow, a butcher by trade, was the Public House Keeper. He emigrated to Canada in 1907.

By 1906, Francis Edwin Baker was inn keeper and farmer.

Around 1928, John Cannon Dixon , Natland’s blacksmith, became landlord.

John’s son George Whitehead Dixon was landlord until his death in 1958.

From 1960 until 1991, the licencees were John Ormerod and his wife Joyce Ormerod (neé Dixon). Joyce was George Whitehead Dixon’s daughter.

 

 

Save

Save

Teasdale


George Teasdale (c.1793-1866)

  • born at Bampton, Westmorland c.1793
  • married Isabella Mackereth (1822-1876) in 1845
  • landlord of the Beehive Inn, Stainton from before 1851
  • landlord of the Station Inn, Oxenholme from 1862 until 1866
  • died 30 June 1866 at the Station Inn
  • probate Carlisle to wife Isabella Teasdale, William Hindson of Old Hutton and Thomas Dixon of Underhelm
  • effects under £800

George and Isabella had three children:

  • Margaret Teasdale (1845-1890) – married Richard Just (1841-1891)
  • George Teasdale (1848-1892) – see below
  • Thomas Mackereth Teasdale (1861-1896)

After George’s death in 1866, wife Isabella took over as publican at the Station Inn – in 1871 Isabella was recorded as owning 7 acres 0 rods 17 perches of land with a gross yearly rental value of £66 1s – Isabella died 1 January 1876 – effects under £200


George Teasdale (1848-1892)

  • born 1848
  • charged with aiding and abeting a fight on 19 May 1869 between Charles Wilson and James Hoggarth and fined 20s
  • married Sarah Stephenson in 1873 – Sarah died in 1881 with no issue
  • landlord of the Station Inn, Oxenholme from 1876
  • married Susanna Horton (1853-1940) in 1888 – Susanna was the daughter of a Wesleyan Minister
  • lived at Hay Close Cottage, Scalthwaiterigg, Westmorland in 1891
  • died 1892

George and Susanna had two children:

  • George Edward Teasdale (1888-1915) – became an elementary schoolteacher in South Shields but died aged just 26 at the Ingham Infirmary
  • Margaret Bertha ‘Daisy’ Teasdale (1891-1982)

After husband George’s death in 1892, second wife Susanna moved to South Shields with their two children.


Can you add any information to this page? Do you have any photographs or memories you could share? If so, please email us

Page last updated: 8 April 2018