Station Inn

Local Businesses:  David Willan Quality Fresh Foods | Oxenhome Filling Station | The Glen Guest House | Station Inn | Former Co-Op / Mace

station inn by alexander p kapp 2010
The Station Inn © Copyright Alexander P Kapp 2010 and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence

The Station Inn

Oxenholme, Kendal LA9 7RF

Tel: 01539 724094

Website: www.stationinnoxenholme.co.uk/

Contact: station.inn@btconnect.com


History

The Station Inn was formerly the Oxenholme Inn, a beerhouse. It was built shortly after the Ordnance Survey surveyed the area in 1858 for their latest map.
In 1862, George Teasdale, innkeeper of the nearby Beehive Inn at Old Hutton for thirteen years, was granted a licence to sell spirits at the Oxenholme Station Inn. George died just under four years later.

George’s widow, Isabella Teasdale (neé Mackereth), was innkeeper at the Oxenholme Inn in 1871. Before her death in January 1876, Isabella’s son, George Teasdale, had taken over as innkeeper and he was still in charge in 1881.

By 1891, the publican was James Freeman. At the time of the census, Thomas Mackereth Teasdale (brother of the former publican) was a visitor.

According to Frances Cross, her great-grandfather Tommy (Thomas Kendal) Cross owned the Oxenholme Inn in the late 1800s. He apparently lost it in a card game and eventually emigrated to the United States with his wife and several children.

By 1894, Thomas Askew, a coal dealer, was publican.

By 1901, William Harrison Thornburrow, a butcher by trade, was the Public House Keeper. He emigrated to Canada in 1907.

By 1906, Francis Edwin Baker was inn keeper and farmer.

Around 1928, John Cannon Dixon , Natland’s blacksmith, became landlord.

John’s son George Whitehead Dixon was landlord until his death in 1958.

From 1960 until 1991, the licencees were John Ormerod and his wife Joyce Ormerod (neé Dixon). Joyce was George Whitehead Dixon’s daughter.

Save

Oxenholme Road / B6254

The B6254 from Oxenholme towards Kendal from the Helmside Road junction is known as Oxenholme Road. Properties within Oxenholme on Oxenholme Road (north side) are limited to: Oxenholme Farm Raysholme – formerly part of Oxenholme Farm – see above link Mill Cottage – formerly part of Oxenholme Farm – see… Continue reading

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Oxenholme Road / B6254

Station Inn

Local Businesses:  David Willan Quality Fresh Foods | Oxenhome Filling Station | The Glen Guest House | Station Inn | Former Co-Op / Mace The Station Inn Oxenholme, Kendal LA9 7RF Tel: 01539 724094 Website: www.stationinnoxenholme.co.uk/ Contact: station.inn@btconnect.com History The Station Inn was formerly the Oxenholme Inn, a beerhouse. It… Continue reading

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Station Inn

Teasdale

George Teasdale (c.1793-1866) born at Bampton, Westmorland c.1793 married Isabella Mackereth (1822-1876) in 1845 landlord of the Beehive Inn, Stainton from before 1851 landlord of the Station Inn, Oxenholme from 1862 until 1866 died 30 June 1866 at the Station Inn probate Carlisle to wife Isabella Teasdale, William Hindson of… Continue reading

Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on Teasdale