Burton Road is the main A65 road from Kendal to Burton-in-Kendal. Only a small part of the road falls within the boundaries of Oxenholme Village.
Properties on eastern side of Burton Road
Heading southwards from the road bridge over the railway line, on the left-hand side:
- Access to Helmside Road
- Reading Room
- Three terraced properties of Bleaswood Close (these front on to Burton Road but vehicle access is via Bleaswood Road).
- Oxenholme Filling Station with three properties set back behind:
- Helm Grove
- Glen Daragh
- Sizergh View
- Access to Rochester Gardens
- Access lane leading to:
- Castle Mount
- Castlesteads Lodge
- Access lane leading to The Helm
The Railway Children’s Choir helped raise the £850 necessary to build the Mission Hall in 1906 on the Burton Road immediately opposite Helmside Cottages. Services were held there on Sunday afternoons and evenings.
The Natland and Oxenholme Women’s Institute was inaugurated there in 1921.
The Mission Hall closed in 1951 and is now home to T.J.S. Northern Ltd civil engineers and construction equipment hire.
The former Reading Room on the Burton Road, now a private residence, was provided by the Railway Company for use by the Railway Men’s Institute and a copy of the Lancashire Evening Post could be read there. The building was constructed around the same time as Helmside Cottages were built (1885).
John Bateson advises “Membership was open to all aged over 14 for 1/- and billiards and dominoes were provided. Originally there was a Bible class, but things religious were taken over by the Mission Hall in 1912. There was a children’s class, Mothers’ Union with baking, crochet etc. The pensioners’ club lasted until c 1985. It was also a polling station.”
At one point monies were raised in Natland and Oxenholme to convert the Reading Room to a Village Hall for both villages but the stables at St Mark’s Vicarage in Natland were chosen instead for the new Village Hall.
The Reading Room finally closed in the mid 1980s and became a residential property.
Properties on western side of Burton Road
Heading northwards towards the road bridge over the railway line, on the left-hand side:
- Hill Crest
- Rose Lea
Page last updated: 25 January 2020