The Station Inn © Copyright Alexander P Kapp 2010 and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence
The Station Inn was formerly the Oxenholme Inn, a beerhouse. It was built shortly after the Ordnance Survey surveyed the area in 1858 for their latest map.
In 1862, George Teasdale, innkeeper of the nearby Beehive Inn at Old Hutton for thirteen years, was granted a licence to sell spirits at the Oxenholme Station Inn. George died just under four years later.
George’s widow, Isabella Teasdale (neé Mackereth), was innkeeper at the Oxenholme Inn in 1871. Before her death in January 1876, Isabella’s son, George Teasdale, had taken over as innkeeper and he was still in charge in 1881.
By 1891, the publican was James Freeman. At the time of the census, Thomas Mackereth Teasdale (brother of the former publican) was a visitor.
According to Frances Cross, her great-grandfather Tommy (Thomas Kendal) Cross owned the Oxenholme Inn in the late 1800s. He apparently lost it in a card game and eventually emigrated to the United States with his wife and several children.
By 1894, Thomas Askew, a coal dealer, was publican.
By 1901, William Harrison Thornburrow, a butcher by trade, was the Public House Keeper. He emigrated to Canada in 1907.
By 1906, Francis Edwin Baker was inn keeper and farmer.
Around 1928, John Cannon Dixon , Natland’s blacksmith, became landlord.
John’s son George Whitehead Dixon was landlord until his death in 1958.
From 1960 until 1991, the licencees were John Ormerod and his wife Joyce Ormerod (neé Dixon). Joyce was George Whitehead Dixon’s daughter.