Albert Edward Winder (1871-1957)
- born 23 October 1871
- registered as Albert Edward Chapman
- married Isabella Mason (1871-1949) in 1892
- railway goods shunter in 1901
- LNWR foreman porter in 1911
- lived at 4 Helmside from 1901 or before until 1957
- died 30 January 1957 at Kendal Green Hospital
- probate 19 February 1957 to son John Willie Winder
- estate valued at £423 15s 8d
Albert and Isabel had the following children:
- John Willie Winder (1892-1958) – born 27 May 1892 – married Helena Robinson (1890-1976) in 1922 – they lived at Helme Hurst 100 Oxenholme Road – John was a LMS Goods Guard – he died 29 November 1958 – estate valued at £2,208
- George Winder (1894-1973) – born 19 July 1894 – married Sarah Elizabeth Scott (1896-1977) in 1919 – in 1939 they were living at Mill Cottage – George was a LMS Railway Fireman and Sarah was a cafe waitress one day a week – they had one son
- Edith Winder (1896-1984) – married Albert Turner Parker (1900-1986) in 1923 – in 1939 they were living at Rinkfield, Kendal – Albert was a boot factory worker – they had two sons
- Nora Isabel Winder (1898-1977) – born 11 August 1898 – married Samuel Cookson Dobson (1898-1927) – they had one daughter – in 1939 Nora was living at 88 Stricklandgate and was a cook for the Provincial Insurance Office
- Thomas Baden Powell Winder (1900-1969) – born 11 May 1900 – married Jessie Gargate (1904-1960) in 1927 – in 1939 they were living at 44 Stricklandgate, Kendal and Thomas was working as a steam turbine driver in a paper mill – Thomas and Jessie had a daughter and two sons (one of whom died shortly after birth)
- Albert Edward ‘Bert’ Winder (1902-1957) – born 24 July 1902 – attended Natland School – pictured below in 1909 – married Eva Rigg (1901-1986) – in 1939 they were living with Eva’s mother at 25 Burton Road, Kendal – Albert was a LMS locomotive fireman – they had son Harold (1924-2006) who became a painter and decorator and a daughter
- Nina Margaret Winder (1906-1998) – born 16 March 1906 – married Richard Longmire (1903-1964) in 1930 – in 1939 livng at 2 Greenside, Kendal – Richard was a electrical contractor’s electrician and was also an Air Raid Warden during WW2
- Philip Winder (1908-1978) – born 24 April 1908 – married Maggie Taylor (1909-1987) – in 1939 they were living at Broughton Lodge Cottages near Ulverston – Philip was a chauffeur/gardener
Can you add any information to this page? Do you have any photographs or memories you could share? If so, please email us
Page last updated: 13 October 2017
The following transcriptions have been extracted from the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations):
- ARMER George William of 17 Helm-side Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 2 March 1943 on war service. Administration Carlisle 29 June (1944) to Robert John Armer retired engine driver. Effects £539 2s 4d.
- ARMER Robert John of 17 Helmside Oxenholme Kendal Westmorland died 1 August 1948. Administration Carlisle 1 September (1948) to Jane Armer widow. Effects £890 14s 3d.
- BAINES Richard of Helmside Natland Kendal Westmorland retired railway signalman died 17 January 1922 Administration Carlisle 29 March (1922) to John Baines hotel porter. Effects £208 0s 11d.
- BAKER Francis Edwin of Mountain View Gatebeck near Kendal Westmorland died 20 February 1949. Administration Carlisle 9 April (1949) to Mary Jane Baker widow. Effects £447 19s 4d.
- BLAND Ernest William of 4 Hill-place Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 25 March 1944. Administration Carlisle 2 May (1944) to Margaret Ann Bland widow. Effects £486 9s 11d.
- DIXON George Whitehead of Station Inn Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 4 May 1958. Administration Carlisle 3 June (1958) to Ellen Wilson Dixon widow. Effects £851 15s 10d.
- FORSHAW Ellen of Station Cottages Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 7 March 1914. Administration Carlisle 23 March (1914) to Edward Fleming labourer. Effects £83 15s 3d.
- KNIGHTS Richard Atkin of Hillcrest Oxenholme Westmorland died 10 December 1952 Probate Carlisle 24 February (1953) to Lawrence Herbert Shepherd cycle agent. Effects £3,046 16s 9d.
- MOFFAT Ada Mary of Mountside Beech Hill Terrace Kendal Westmorland died 13 June 1966. Probate Carlisle 7 September (1966) to Philip Gardner Thomson solicitor. £10,108
- MOFFAT Thomas of Glen-villa Oxenholme Westmorland died 8 March 1923. Probate Carlisle 24 April (1923) to Ada Mary Moffat widow and Arthur Ingram Moffat agricultural merchant and agent. Effects £4,726 5s 7d.
- NIXON Elizabeth Todd of 24 Helmside Oxenholme Westmorland widow died 1 July 1946 at 10 Gandy-street Kendal Westmorland. Probate Carlisle 23 July (1946) to Percy Nixon railway engine driver. Effects £597 14s 8d.
- PAINE Harry of 8 Union-street Kendal Westmorland brakesman died 5 December 1913 at Wigan. Administration Carlisle 2 January (1914) to Jane Paine widow. Effects £168 5s.
- PEARS John. 16 January (1890). Administration of the Personal Estate of John Pears late of Helmside near Kendal in the County of Westmoreland Railway Porter who died 1 January 1890 at Oxenholme near Kendal in the said County was granted at Carlisle to Sarah Pears of Helmside Widow the Relict. Personal Estate £246 14s 11d.
- RISHTON Frank of Helmdene Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 23 March 1934. Probate Carlisle 9 August (1934) to Margaret Rishton widow Henry John Rishton retired farmer and Richard Askew retired police sergeant. Effects £11,055 8s 8d.
- SWARBRICK Allan of 12 Helmside Oxenholme near Kendal Westmorland died 12 March 1944 at Westmorland County Hospital. Administration Carlisle 2 May (1944) to Jane Swarbrick widow. Effects £372 6s 3d.
- TEASDALE George. 23 August 1866. The Will of George Teasdale formerly of the “Beehive” Inn Stainton in the Parish of Heversham but late of “Oxenholme Station” Inn Natland both in the County of Westmoreland Innkeeper deceased who died 30 June 1866 at the “Oxenholme Station” Inn aforesaid was proved at Carlisle by the oaths of Isabella Teasdale of “Oxenholme Station” Inn aforesaid Widow the Relict William Hindson of Old Hutton in the County aforesaid Relieving Officer and Thomas Dixon of Underhelm in Stainton aforesaid Farmer the Executors. Effects under £800.
- TEASDALE Isabella. 3 February 1876. Administration of the effects of Isabella Teasdale late of “Oxenholme Station” Inn in the Township of Natland in the County of Westmoreland Widow who died 1 January 1876 at “Oxenholme Station” Inn was granted at Carlisle to George Teasdale of “Oxenholme Station” Inn Innkeeper the Son and one of the Next of Kin. Effects under £200.
- WILSON Charles Henry of Oxenholme House Oxenholme Westmorland died 7 March 1927. Probate Carlisle 27 April (1927) to John Gasgoigne Swinglehurst esquire and Edward Moser solicitor. Effects £49,017 19s 8d. Resworn £49,142 19s 8d.
- WILSON William Esq. 9 September 1880. The Will with a Codicil of William Wilson late of Rigmaden in the County of Westmoreland Esquire who died 26 July 1880 at Rigmaden was proved at Carlisle by Arthur Shepherd of Shaw End in the said County esquire and Christopher Wyndham Wilson of Rigmaden William James Wilson of High Park in the said County and Charles Henry Wilson of Rigmaden Esquires the Sons the Executors. Personal Estate under £200,000.
- WINDER Albert Edward otherwise Albert Edward Chapman of 4 Helmside Oxenholme Kendal Westmorland died 30 January 1957 at Kendal Green Hospital Kendal. Probate Carlisle 19 February (1957) to John Willie Winder railway guard. Effects £423 15s 8d.
- WINDER John Willie of Helme Hurst 100 Oxenholme Road Kendal Westmorland died 29 November 1958. Administration (with Will) Carlisle 19 February (1959) to Helena Winder widow. Effects £2,208 9s 8d.
Page last updated: 5 December 2016