Natland and Oxenholme W I Meeting : 20 September 2017

President Kirsten Cannon welcomed 26 members and 20 visitors to the open meeting.

President Kirsten congratulated members on the group and individual successes at the recent Westmorland County Show – 1 Gold, 3 Silver and a Red awarded for the group entry of biscuits.  She also congratulated members Joan Airey and Kate Toms on over 20 entries which had received many awards.

President Kirsten then welcomed Maurice Steele who gave an audio/visual presentation entitled ‘It should have been stopped’.  Maurice accompanied by his ‘team members’ Sally Harpon and Old Grump, took members on a journey through Lakeland from the Ice Age, to the present day posing the question what sort of Lakeland would we have if various decisions had been stopped.

Through stunning photography showcasing the beauty of nature and accompanied by poignant music, Maurice asked members to consider how our landscape would look if land clearance, mining, railways, roads, mass tourism and other factors had been stopped.

Elaine Close gave the vote of thanks.

The competition for a sheep was won by Lynne Procter with Joan Ratcliffe in second place.

Raffle prizes were won by Nancy Toft, Pauline Causey and Betty Prickett.

Date of next meeting is October 18th at 7.15pm in Natland Village Hall when the guest speaker Pam Hetherington will speak on Foot care and Podiatry.

Burton Road

Burton Road is the main A65 road from Kendal to Burton-in-Kendal. Only a small part of the road falls within the boundaries of Oxenholme Village.

Burton Road, approaching Oxenholme from the south. Image courtesy of Google Streetview May 2009


Oxenholme Garage / Filling Station

The following information was contributed by local schoolchildren from St. Marks, Natland to the BBC Domesday Project in 1986:

“The filling station was built in 1910 and is currently owned by Mrs. Pat Dixon who bought it fifteen months ago. Part of the building is used as living accommodation. There are two staff selling Petrofina petrol which is delivered from Preston. The opening times are from 08.00 to 19.00 through the week, 09.00 to 18.00 on Saturdays and 09.00 to 17.00 on Sundays. The station is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. The quietest day is Tuesday, the busiest is Thursday. Holiday traffic also provides a lot of custom. After fuel, cigarettes and oil are most in demand. There are a number of regular customers, mainly from Oxenholme. The current owners have not altered the station, neither have any fires or accidents occurred during their time.

Oxenholme Filling Station, Burton Road 2011 Image courtesy of Google Street View 2011


Mission Hall

The Railway Children’s Choir helped raise the £850 necessary to build the Mission Hall in 1906 on the Burton Road immediately opposite Helmside Cottages. Services were held there on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

The Natland and Oxenholme Women’s Institute was inaugurated there in 1921.

The Mission Hall closed in 1951 and is now home to T.J.S. Northern Ltd civil engineers and construction equipment hire.

The former Mission Hall. Image courtesy of Google Street View 2011.


Reading Room

The former Reading Room on the Burton Road, now a private residence, was provided by the Railway Company for use by the Railway Men’s Institute and a copy of the Lancashire Evening Post could be read there. The building was constructed around the same time as Helmside Cottages were built (1885).

At one point monies were raised in Natland and Oxenholme to convert the Reading Room to a Village Hall for both villages but the stables at St Mark’s Vicarage in Natland were chosen instead for the new Village Hall. The Reading Room finally closed in the 1980s.

The former Reading Room, Burton Road 2011 Image courtesy of Google Street View 2011


Other Properties

Other properties on Burton Road include:

  • Broadlea
  • Glen Daragh
  • Helm Grove
  • Hill Crest
  • Hillslea
  • Moorfields
  • Ormiston
  • Overdale
  • Rose Lea
  • Sizergh View
  • Springfield
  • Thurston
  • Underhill

Please note: The three terraced properties of Bleaswood Close front on to Burton Road.


Page last updated 13 October 2017