The original Oxenholme Farm was first divided into two properties, Oxenholme Farm and Raysholme. It has since been divided again to form three properties, Oxenholme Farm, Raysholme and Mill Cottage.
The following information was contributed by local schoolchildren from St. Marks, Natland to the BBC Domesday Project in 1986:
“Mr. Bell took over the Elizabethan farmhouse in 1932. There 40 hectares owned by the farm and a further 23 are rented. Silage, which is cut every year in June and August, occupies 38 acres while the remaining 63 are used for hay and pasture. Mr. Bell owns four tractors, two of which are Fords. He keeps Friesian cows, forty-two being milked every day at 07.00 and 16.00. So far this year 145 lambs have been born, although 8 or 9 die each year shortly after birth. Mr. Bell also keeps hens and breeds pheasants which he buys when they are only a day old. When St. Mark’s children visited the farm they were given some silage and cow cake. They watched the sheepdog at work and went in the milking shed. When they entered a field of cows, they were very quickly surrounded!”
- 1851 – James Cleasby
- 1866 – John Garnett
- 1897 – Richard Thornburrow
- 1901 – Edward Cornthwaite & family
- 1920 – Arthur Haliburton Wilson – see Wilson family page