On Monday a successful gathering was held to celebrate the third anniversary of the opening of the Mission Hall. Numerous guests, after partaking of a substantial tea, were addressed by Mrs. Isaac Braithwaite. The chair was occupied by Mr. John Parker, who referred briefly to the work and progress of the Mission under its earnest leader, Mrs. Page. The latter in a few well-chosen and touching words, thanked the members and workers for their help and sympathy. The tables were presided over by Mrs. W. Phizackerley, Mrs. Ellison, Mrs. Chris. Dobson, Mrs. J. Parker, assisted by many willing helpers. The programme included music and recitations by Miss Wilkinson, Mr. W. Phizackerley, Master C. Ewen, Miss Black, Misses Robinson, Miss Fanny Jackson, and Mr. Parker. Miss Wilkinson presided at the organ.
Westmorland Gazette, 18 September 1909
The Oxenholme Hunt, which for 80 years has played a colourful part in the country life of South Westmorland, was wound up on Saturday when the last hound left the Gatebeck kennels for a North-country pack. A few days ago nine hounds were sent to join the drag-hound pack of which Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands is Master. Now for the first time for 72 years the Gatebeck kennels are empty of horse and hound. The district is also covered by the Lunesdale pack of fell foxhounds, and lack of funds has compelled the keen band of Oxenholme followers, who have kept the pack going in recent years, to wind it up.
The Oxenholme saw its greatest days under the late Mr. Charles H. Wilson, who was Master from 1878 to 1918. From his time the pack hunted red deer but this quarry largely disappeared from the South Westmorland countryside during the Second World War, and there had to be a change to fox hunting with an occasional “find” of deer in the many noted coverts. The most famous servant of the pack was “Hunty Dick” Jackson who spent half a century as its kennel huntsman.
Yorkshire Post, 26 June 1950