Today, Oxenholme is the only village on the main West Coast line with a station.
The station at Oxenholme was opened in 1846 when both the first stage of the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway and the first stage of the Kendal & Windermere Railway were opened.
The original station building was designed by architect William Tite, better known for building the Royal Exchange in London (1840), who later became an MP and was knighted. However, the station was completely rebuilt in 1881.
Oxenholme’s Station Masters include:
- 1850: Stephen DIXON
- 1861: Stephen FAWCETT
- 1867: Isaac BIRKETT
- 1871: George HODGSON
- 1881-1894+: Thomas MOFFATT
- 1897: Henry PRESTON
- 1901 – 1914+: Richard Atkin KNIGHTS
- 1925: Robert RAFFLES
- 1940 – 1946: William Robert PEARS
- 19??-1954?: ? ATKINSON
- 1954?-1957?: “Dan” ARCHER
- 1957-19??: George STEWART (who was the last Station Master and who lived in the Station Master’s House at 6 Natland Terrace)
If you know of any others, please email us.
When the station was rebuilt in 1881, it included Refreshment Rooms.
Managers of the Refreshment Rooms include:
- 1867: Mr Gosling
- 1890: Miss Schloss
- 1914-1925: County Hotel Company (Carlisle)
- 1929: Frederick George Evans
When the station was rebuilt in 1881, it included five cottages.
With special thanks to John Bateson for information on past Station Masters.
Page last updated: 23 February 2016