Signal Boxes

Signal Box No. 1

Oxenholme No. 1 Signal Box was situated on the north-side of the Kendal to Kirkby Lonsdale road bridge in a raised position so that the line south of the bridge could be seen. Signalman George Mattocks was on duty on 14 October 1920 when a derailment occured. John Gardner was a relief signalman who worked Oxenholme No. 1 Signal Box before 1965, according to Adrian Vaughan, author of “Signalman’s Nightmare”.

Signal Box No. 2

After the original level crossing was removed and the road bridge was built, Oxenholme No. 2 Signal Box was situated on the south-side of the Kendal to New Hutton road bridge on the down line side. It was in a raised position so that the station could be seen over the bridge.

In 1943, LMS replaced the former LNWR Signal Boxes No. 2 & No. 3 with a new No. 2 Signal Box at the south-end of the up line platform. It is pictured below in August 1967.

45321 copyright david rostance

LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45321 passes Oxenholme No. 2 Signal Box with the 13.20 SO Euston – Glasgow Central on 19 August 1967. Reproduced here with the kind permission of David Rostance.

oxenholme no 2 by kdh archive

Oxenholme No. 2 Signal Box on 17 July 1971. Photo reproduced here with the kind permission of the KDH Archive

LMS Signal Box No. 2 was finally demolished in 1973.

Signal Box No. 3

The LNWR No. 3 Signal Box was situated on the up line side overlooking the Windermere branch line junction.

 

With special thanks to David Rostance for the photograph of LMS No. 45321 passing Oxenholme No. 2 Signal Box in 1967 and to the KDH Archive for the photogragh of Oxenholme No. 2 Signal Box in 1971.

Save

Save

Comments are closed